Legal Support Staff Positions:
One of Halifax's leading law firms, Burchells LLP, is currently recruiting for a full-time, permanent IT Coordinator.
Burchells LLP provides a wide range of legal services to regional, national and international clients, including multinational corporations, small business owners, major banks, individuals, insurance companies and all levels of government.
Providing support to the lawyers of Burchells LLP is a group of hard working and enthusiastic professionals who take pride in exceptional client service and team work.
• The IT Coordinator provides IT support to all members of the firm providing a single point of contact for end users to receive support and maintenance within the firm’s desktop computing environment including troubleshooting problem areas and providing end-user assistance where required.
• This position reports to the managing partner responsible for technology. Liaising with the firm’s Office Manager, Controller and outsourced technical provider, the IT Coordinator will maintain an appropriate IT structure to fulfill current and future business needs.
• Handle day-to-day requests for support, including but not limited to: computers, cell phones, the internal phone system, photocopiers, fax machines, printers, postage equipment, dictation equipment and software, Microsoft Office, ProLaw, CaseLogistics, various third party software that the firms uses such as Techcom and POL. Arranges purchase and/or lease of equipment and referenced equipment and software;
• Assist partners with RFPs and Security Audits as they relate to IT;
• Provide diagnoses and resolution of computer hardware and software problems;
• Work with Management and external network management teams to identify areas for improvement of IT infrastructure and processes and make appropriate recommendations;
• Collaborate with other members of senior management team to determine IT priorities necessary to meet overall business goals of firm;
• Based on identified IT priorities, coordinate the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future IT systems across the firm;
• Work with Office Manager to develop and assist with training programs;
• Work with the Controller on design and implementation of reports in ProLaw and SQL;
• Work with the Office Manager on new firm member set up and internal moves as it relates to IT;
• Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices, install and configure appropriate software, provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment;
• Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance;
• Keep current with IT industry trends and developments, including emerging technologies;
• Develop and assist with execution of firm disaster recovery and business continuity plan;
• Assist approved Burchells LLP staff with issues pertinent to organizational goals at home when required;
• Ensure ongoing compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
• As a member of Technology and Training Committee the IT Coordinator will work closely with all firm members to increase efficiencies in the firm’s main operating software – ProLaw;
• Develop an on-line IT help desk ticketing system;
• Meet quarterly with network management team to review health and performance of the network infrastructure;
• Maintain workstation Evergreen plan;
• Coordinate with internal and external management teams on budget and forecasting plan on identified priorities; and
• Due to the nature of the IT Coordinator role, some after-hours work will be required from time-to-time.
• Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience;
• Excellent technical knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms; enterprise software applications;
• Excellent understanding of computer systems characteristics, features and integration capabilities;
• Ability to successfully manage multiple complex projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to effectively convey technical information to a variety of audiences in various formats;
• Sound judgment in a fast paced environment with changing priorities;
• Flexibility, initiative, organization and prioritization skills are critical;
• Experience in a professional services firm be an asset, with an above-average ability to work in a team environment with all members of the firm; and
• Experience with ProLaw is an asset.
Burchells LLP offers a competitive salary and full comprehensive benefit package including professional development.
Please visit our website www.burchells.ca to learn more about our firm.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Charlene F. Harrison
Application review begins as applications are received. Position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon a satisfactory background check.